There is something uplifting about a cutting edge kitchen that cannot easily be put into words. At the same time, an outdated kitchen can be quite the eyesore and doesn’t put you in that upbeat mood when you go to make your morning breakfast. Feeling like your kitchen needs a revamp but have no idea where to begin? It’s simple. It always starts with the kitchen countertops you use.
What Are You Working With?
Before deciding on a new countertop you will want to take a close look at your kitchen and decide exactly what makes it appear so outdated. Will your cabinets need to be redone as well or maybe they need a simple paint job? Maybe your cabinets are just waiting for the right counter to unlock their potential? Appliances are worth noting as well. Will you keep them? Maybe you want to go all stainless steel? No matter what you decide upon, you will want to make sure your future countertop investment is going to work well with your cabinets, appliances, and overall colour scheme. If you are renovating the whole thing, then you only really need to think about how the kitchen blends with the rest of your home.
Choosing the Ideal Material
Modernizing your kitchen truly begins and ends with the kitchen countertops, so you will want to pick the perfect material for your kitchen’s showpiece. Granite, quartz, and marble countertops are all elegantly polished surfaces that offer that modern atmosphere. All three are relatively high-end and will cost you some money, but their durability and looks are well worth it. Just remember that granite and marble require sealant maintenance every few years while quartz is more likely to fade after prolonged UV ray exposure. Also, granite is the most durable when it comes to scratches and heat while quartz is fantastic against stains since it is nonporous. Marble is the most expensive alternative usually but arguably has the most refined and unique appearance.
Looking to modernize the kitchen within a budget? You can also opt for solid surface or laminate countertops. These are cost-efficient alternatives that will come very close to giving you that natural or engineered stone look. In other words, you can modernize your kitchen for less money, but you will be working with a slightly less durable product that won’t stand up well to heat.
But How Long Will It Last?
Marble, granite, and quartz counters are likely to last you for decades with the right amount of care and maintenance. Certain quartz counters could fade after some years if they are in direct sunlight for too long. This obviously makes them a poor candidate for outdoor kitchens.
As for solid surface and laminate, these will also last for years, but you are probably going to get less longevity out of them due to their sensitivity to heat and UV rays. Laminate is also prone to scratching though both countertops are great against stains.
Take your time and select a colour, texture, and style that will stand the test of time. Many of the kitchen countertop choices out there will not only last you years but will visually impress for years as well.
- 5 Reasons to Buy Granite Kitchen Countertops
- The Pros and Cons of Marble Kitchen Countertops
- Should You Install Your New Kitchen Countertop by Yourself?
- 9 Reasons to Choose Quartz over Granite for your Kitchen Countertops
- Choosing the Right Kitchen Countertop Material
- Why You Should Buy Engineered Stone Kitchen Countertops
- What You Should Know About Replacing Your Kitchen Counters
- Which Is Better for My Kitchen Countertops: Granite or Quartz?
- Hottest Trends for Kitchen Counter Tops in 2016
- Budgeting for Certain Types of Kitchen Countertops
- Advantages and Drawbacks to a Granite Kitchen Countertop
- Modernizing Your Kitchen with New Countertops
- What You Gain from Investing in Kitchen Countertops
- The Creation Process: How Granite Kitchen Countertops Are Made
- Guidelines to Follow When Maintaining Your Kitchen Countertop
- 6 Things to Consider When Shopping for Kitchen Countertops
- A Look at Some Rare and Exotic Kitchen Countertops